Skip to main content

Sundays

There was a time when I waited for Sunday. After a week of work, and I worked hard, a day of rest  was very welcome. I loved to sleep.  I am not an atheist, and I go to church maybe once a year for  midnight mass on Christmas eve. So I'm not a churchgoer basically. Therefore Sundays did not mean  that I was seated in the pews in church listening to the pastor's sermon.  The pastor, in fact,  would not recognise me until my sister, who goes more often to church, introduced me as her brother  after Christmas Eve mass. I also had a problem sleeping and would lie awake at nights trying desperately trying to fall asleep. I tried counting sheep and it never worked. I also tried those sleeping videos on YouTube. I listened  \ and felt bored. They were not music I was familiar with and they kept my eyelids firmly apart. Even a safe  tranquillizer that my doctor prescribed did not have any effect. The only thing to do then was to switch on

Clothes and the Man



I have never been very fastidious about clothes and dressing. It might be an influence of my schooldays. There was no school uniform though careless and shabby dressing was not allowed. Our principal, a lumbering giant of a man with bulging eyes, also saw to it that the pupils did not get sartorially ambitious.  

I have heard from my seniors that he once warned a student not to sport a puff hairstyle, but the student ignored it blissfully. The principal caught him by the hair without warning and snipped off the offending puff with a pair of scissors and dumped it in the unfortunate student’s palm. Such instances were spoken of in hushed tones.

Another thing that was not allowed was ‘drainpipe’ trousers as they were then called. The form fitting trousers were a strict no, no. Nor were pointed shoes allowed. If caught wearing them strict action would follow.  The students made it a point not to give offence to the principal as he was very handy with the cane. He took a sadistic pleasure in asking students to bend down for a swift couple of the best.

I once bought a very elaborately designed shoe which also had pointed toes.  Naturally I never wore it to school. It was an aberration for me as I was not very fastidious about how my feet were shod.

Trousers were preceded by half pants. The age of half pants lasted from the nursery till quite a while in school. I always thought it was a bit unfair that little boys had to wear half pants. There was no point in not being allowed to wear them. There was a transitory period when both half pants and trousers were allowed. Then came the day when I could quit half pants and graduate to trousers permanently. I felt grown up at last.

I also liked suits, but they could be worn only in winter. Every year before Christmas when I was a little boy I would receive a new suit. I derived a great deal of pleasure in wearing them.  Later in life I did not much care for them.  I also realised that suits for a little boy did not cost much, but for adults it did.

At our Delhi office where I was twice posted, dressing was a serious affair for journalists. There talk about clothes was quite fashionable, even among men. It forced me to rearrange my meagre wardrobe. A blazer at least was in order and I had one stitched. During winter I alternated between sweater, jacket and the blazer. Beyond that I did not aspire.

In the growing years there was also the dhoti and the kurta pyjamas. The dhoti was something that I found troublesome and after much trial and error I was able to get the hang of it. The dhoti was a formal wear at weddings for me and they did not come often thankfully. The kurta pyjama was more comfortable. During my college days I wore them a lot.

During a short stint in Islamabad, I had to stick to formal clothes because I met a lot of diplomats all the time. Parties were thrown by diplomats quite often where informal dress was unthinkable. I also acquired a taste for fine dining. But it was a short tenure and I was soon posted back in Kolkata.
Early in my professional career a lot of official lunching and dining was in order. In such cases, though sartorial elegance was not required, dressing modestly did.

Whatever I wore outside was in stark contrast to what I wore at home. There I let myself go totally. A comfortable sarong and a vest were in order. I hastily changed when I had company.

My uncle and aunt who used to visit each Sunday would criticise be about my dishabille. But it fell on deaf ears. I was always an introvert and dressing had little meaning for me. When a lady friend came to visit me at home one day, she too made it a point to say primly that my dressing was just too bad. But though I admired her a great deal and still do, it had little impact.

I used to be quite amazed during my college days when a few friends I had in the neighbourhood, dressed up each evening when we met for the daily chat.  To me it seemed uncomfortable to be stuffily dressed up and nowhere to go.

I forgot to mention that in between, I grew a beard. It helped that I did not have to shave, but it was more tiring that stray hair had to be trimmed daily. It was a short hirsute phase.

Then my hairline started receding. I therefore got rid of the superfluous hair altogether one day and settled for a completely bald look. It was met with startled looks at home and in the office, but it gradually receded in perception as an eyesore.

With retirement I threw all caution to the winds. Since I was stuck indoors most of the time, the clothes did not matter. The advertisements on shirts and trousers did not interest me. They never had in the first place.

I only thing that I regularly do now from totally going to seed is to shave each day.
It is back to the Stone Age for me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lunatic

“Are you looping the loop again?” I asked the neighborhood lunatic. “Yes, it’s hard work,” he said wiping his brow after climbing down the lamp post for the eighteenth time. “What do you see up there?” I asked him. “I ensure that the lamp posts are going out on regular dates,” he said. “Do they go out? They can’t be of much use at night then,” I remarked. “No, no,” the lunatic corrected me, “they go out dating.” “Lamp posts go out dating!” I exclaimed. “They all have their secret love lives,” the nut said nodding his head, “they can’t always be like the young cad who stood on the burning deck.” “Do lamp posts burn the candle at both ends?” I asked eagerly. “When the bulbs kick the bucket, they have to get candles from the grocers at a premium,” the fellow said, “the grocers make a quick buck  when the lamp posts are fumbling about in the dark looking for loose change.” “You can spare some loose change for the lamp posts,” I suggested. “I ca

Ambition

“Do you have any ambition?” asked my friend the politician. “No, it’s not within my ambit,” I replied shaking my head. “Ant bite?” he asked puzzled, “where did it bite you?” “It’s not within an ant’s ambit,” I said stiffly, “to be able to get away after sucking on my hoard of lollipops.” “Are you any wis er for being such a miser?” he questioned. “I’m not a miser, black marketeer or a racketeer,” I protested. “You mean none of the above,” the politician asked disparagingly, “That means you suck on your big toe to make ends meet.” “I can see a lollipop end to end,” I replied. “You mean the end justifies the means?” he asked. “I believe in happy endings for lollipops,” I said. “Are you herbivorous?” he asked suspiciously. “That’s an asinine thing to say,” I protested. “Are you calling me an ass?” the politician demanded. “Not if you chew the cud,” I replied. “Are you calling me a cow?” he asked ann oyed. “Not if you take the b

The Dragon and Adam and Eve

The Dragon arrogantly swelled his chest as he had a look at the apple orchard in Paradise. "This was historically mine," he said covetously. Eve came out from among the apple-laden trees. "What are you mumbling about, swine?" "I'm not porcine by a long shot," the Dragon snarled wisps of smoke coming out from his nostrils. "You are not pig-headed then?" Adam asked genially joining his better half. "Never," he hissed. "Then why were you eyeing our apple orchard with your avaricious little slit eyes?" Eve asked sweetly. "That was historically mine," the monster said greedily. "You read history do you?" asked Eve. "Yes I have a large library on World History," he replied snobbishly. "Ha! Ha! Cackled  Eve. "He! He! Chuckled Adam. "What are you two giggling about?" the  Dragon asked annoyed. "History hasn't been creat